SC directive on foodgrains is an order: Karat
Patna: The Centre has to comply with the
Supreme Court`s directive on providing free foodgrains to the
poor despite Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s reservations,
CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat said today.
"We know that the PM has objections, but the Apex
Court has passed an appropriate order for this," Karat told a
press conference here.
The court had made it clear that foodgrains should be
distributed free among the poor instead of allowing it to rot
in FCI godowns, he said.
"Instead of wasting the foodgrains, we believe it will
be better that it should help people facing severe drought in
Bihar, Orissa and West Bengal," the CPI-M leader said.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar should seek such
foodgrains from the Centre for distribution in drought-hit
districts of the state, he said.
Karat also announced that CPI-M will contest in 30 of
the 243 Assembly seats in Bihar where the party has forged an
alliance with Left parties CPI and CPI-ML (Liberation).
Asked whether his party intended to ally with the RJD
as in the past, Karat said "the situation at that time was
The details of the constituencies and candidates would
be announced by the party after holding consultations with
allies, he said.
Karat said price rise, unemployment, backwardness and
poverty would be the electoral issues of the party.
"We will highlight the anti-people and faulty policies
of the state and central government responsible for the price
rise and other problems," he said.
To another question, Karat said his party was also
making efforts to strengthen and expand its base in the Hindi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says