SC directs Centre to bring conjoint for treatment
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Centre to bring two teenaged conjoint twins from Bihar by air ambulance to Delhi for treatment at AIIMS.
A bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and Dipak Misra granted 10 days time to the Centre to make arrangements for bringing to the capital 16-year-olds Saba and Farah Saleem.
The apex court on July 16 had asked the Centre to form a medical board to provide treatment to the twins observing that "the acute agony of the girls would shock anybody`s conscience".
The court`s order had come on a PIL by Aarushi Dhasmana, a second year law student from Pune, seeking medical aid for the girls.
Quoting newspaper reports, the petition filed through counsel Ravi Prakash Gupta, had said the two grown up twins joined at the head are undergoing immense pain and are unable to even sleep due to consistent acute pain.
While seeking medical aid at government`s expenditure, the PIL said if it is not possible, the parents be permitted to adopt "mercy killing" for the twins.
Saba and Farah have been bedridden and are experiencing persistent, acute agony and distress and are neither able to sleep adequately nor get up from their bed and this has made their lives miserable, said Dhasmana`s petition.
It said the twins` father, Mohammad Shakeel, a tea stall owner in Patna, who is distressed by their growing sufferings, had pleaded for mercy killing for his twins last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan