SC dismay over role of Centre on SPOs
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday expressed
its dismay over the role of the Centre in supporting and
funding the armed SPOs in Chhattisgarh government`s effort
to counter Naxals saying it has failed to explain the concept
of the anti-vigilante group.
"Without explaining that concept, the Centre asserts that
SPOs have played a useful role in collection of intelligence,
protection of local inhabitants and ensuring security of
property in disturbed areas," a bench of justices B Sudershan
Reddy and S S Nijjar said.
The bench said it was not clear from the affidavit of the
Centre as to "what stance it takes with respect to specific
aspects of the use of SPOs in Chattisgarh arming SPOs, the
nature of training provided to them and the duties assigned to
"In a markedly vague manner, the Centre`s affidavit
asserts that SPOs are force multipliers not explaining what is involved in such a concept nor how force is multiplied,
or not, depending on various duties of the SPOs, their
training and whether they carry arms or not," it said.
"We must at this point also express our deepest dismay at
the role of the Centre in these matters," the bench said
while expressing displeeasure over the role of Centre on the
issue of SPOs.
While noting that law and order is the state subject,
the bench criticised the the Centre for shirking from its
responsibilitis when it has been supporting and funding the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!