SC dismisses another petition against Pranab
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today dismissed as frivolous a petition challenging the nomination of UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee for the Presidential election on the ground that as Union Finance Minister he had failed to unearth massive black money in foreign tax havens.
"According to us it is a frivolous application. Don`t ever do it," a bench of justices Aftab Alam and H L Gokhale observed, while dismissing a PIL filed by one Iniyan John.
Appearing for the petitioner counsel R. Prabhakaran and G S Mani, claimed that the issue involved vital questions of Constitutional law and pleaded that the court should not dismiss it without hearing them.
However, the apex court rejected the plea and said it was just a frivolous petition and dismissed it at the stage of mentioning.
The PIL alleged that Mukherjee had failed to discharge his duties as Finance Minister on the black money issue in defiance of court directions.
The apex court had directed the Centre to form a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the trail of the black money and file a compliance report before it.
Earlier, the apex court had dismissed another petition challenging Pranab`s election which had claimed that his soliciting votes from elected representatives attracted the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video