SC expunges HC remarks against lady judicial officer
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has quashed the
Allahabad High Court`s critical remarks against a lady
magistrate despite her acting fairly in a complaint of alleged
rape of a daughter-in-law by the father-in-law.
The victim had moved the Judicial Magistrate in
Saharanpur Mona Panwar through an application under Section
156(3)of the CrPC for registration of a rape case against her
The victim claimed she was forced to move the court as
neither the local police nor the SSP Sahranpur was willing to
register the complaint.
However, after making an inquiry through the police
the lady magistrate decided to register her application as a
complaint under Section 200 of the Code by which it was
decided to record her statements along with other witnesses
in the court.
The police had submitted a report to the magistrate
that the complaint was concocted and the so-called victim was
a divorcee who was actually staying with her parents at the
time of the alleged incident.
However, the woman filed an appeal in the High Court
challenging the magistrate`s decision.
A single judge quashed the magistrate`s order and made
the disparaging remarks that despite being a lady magistrate
she did not apply her mind properly to the case in which a
woman had alleged she was raped by her own father-in-law.
He also commented that the order passed by the magistrate
on August 1, 2009, was a blemish on justice meted out to a
married lady who was ravished by her own father-in-law and
asked her to be careful in future while passing such orders.
Aggrieved, Mona appealed in the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!