SC extends Sukh Ram’s interim bail till Aug 7
New Delhi: In a relief to former Union
Minister Sukh Ram, sentenced to three years in jail in a 1993
telecom scam, the Supreme Court on Monday extended his interim
bail till August 7.
A bench headed by Justice P Sathasivam also granted
relief to former bureaucrat Runu Ghosh and Hyderabad-based
businessman P Rama Rao, who are also convicted in the same
The bench listed the appeals filed by all there accused
challenging their conviction and sentence to August 7.
The apex court had earlier issued notice to CBI on
January 9 while granting interim bail to all three accused
which was expiring today.
CBI, however, has not filed its reply in the case and on
a query by the bench, Additional Solicitor General Vivek
Tankha said he was unaware whether the agency would file an
appeal in the case or not.
Tankha said he will take instructions from the agency.
86-year-old Sukh Ram was granted interim bail by the apex
court after he had surrendered before a trial court to serve
his three year sentence in the scam case.
Ghosh and Rao had also surrendered to serve their two and
three-year jail terms respectively.
Earlier on December 21 last year, the Delhi High Court
had upheld the lower court`s 2002 judgement holding Sukh Ram,
Ghosh and Rao guilty of being part of a criminal conspiracy to
defraud the state exchequer by awarding a telecom equipment
supply contract to Hyderabad`s Advanced Radio Masts which had
supplied inferior goods at a higher rate to the DoT.
Sukh Ram was telecom minister between January 18, 1993
and May 16, 1996, in the then Narasimha Rao government.
The CBI had filed the charge sheet in March 1997,
accusing Sukh Ram and Ghosh of entering into a criminal
conspiracy with Rao.
Subsequent to the registration of various cases, the CBI,
in 1996, had seized Rs 3.6 crore in cash which was concealed
in bags and suitcases from Sukh Ram`s residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27