This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

SC for derecognising ‘violent’ political parties

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 19:39

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday sought to know from the Centre if a political party can be derecognised for indulging in violent agitation leading to destruction of public property.

Asking the Centre to explain if it can be done under the existing laws, a bench of justices GS Singhvi and SJ Mukhopadhaya sought the Union government`s view on the issue within a week.

The Court was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) petition, filed by former IPS officer Prakash Singh seeking its direction to frame guidelines for preventing agitations leading to large-scale destruction of property and disruption of traffic through blockage of roads, highways and railway tracks.

Singh filed the petition to prevent a repeat of last year`s three-month blockade of the national highway running through the state of Nagaland.

The apex court is also hearing a case involving the rail and road blockade by protestors from the Jat community in Jind district of Haryana last year, leading to destruction of railway properties.

Meanwhile, the Centre too submitted its suggestion for resolving such crisis in a time-bound manner and to bring culprits, indulging in such agitation, to justice.

The government suggested that if the state and the Centre failed to remove the blockade within five days then judiciary should intervene and pass proper orders.

"If the blockade is not lifted even after the intervention of the principal home secretary/ director general of police within the period set out above, a report will be sent within seven days to the chief justice of the state high court.

"The High Court will examine the efforts made at different levels, fix responsibility for failure and call upon the delinquent officers to explain their conduct and issue such order as may be considered appropriate," Solicitor General R Nariman told the court.

The Centre also suggested that appropriate prosecution and civil recovery suit should be initiated against people indulging in violent agitation.

"The district magistrate shall also initiate prosecution against the persons involved in the acts of rioting, violence and destruction of property before district judge who shall dispose of the proceedings within six months," Nariman said.


First Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 19:39
comments powered by Disqus