SC grants bail to BSP MP Dhananjay Singh for filing nomination papers
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday granted temporary bail to BSP MP Dhananjay Singh, who along with his wife Jagriti Singh is accused of killing their maid, to file nomination from Jaunpur Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh.
A bench headed by Justice BS Chauhan granted temporary bail to Singh from April 14 to 21 for filing papers and subsequent campaigning in the constituency.
Singh, who is also an accused in a rape case, is a sitting MP from Jaunpur constituency in UP and had sought bail to file his nomination from that seat.
Polls would be held in Jaunpur Lok Sabha seat on May 12.
The BSP MP moved the apex court after the Delhi High Court on March 31 stayed the interim bail granted to him by a lower court on March 22.
The trial court had granted him interim bail on his plea that he has to look after his ailing father and as the charge sheet has already been filed, no useful purpose would be served by keeping him in custody.
Dhananjay was chargesheeted for various offences under the IPC, including for alleged destruction of evidence and abetment of the offences of murder and attempt to murder.
Jagriti has been chargesheeted for offences under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 344 (wrongfully confining for 10 or more days), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 201 (destruction of evidence) of the IPC.
The couple was arrested on November 5 last year in connection with the death of their 35-year-old maid Rakhi Bhadra, a resident of West Bengal.
Dhananjay and Jagriti, a dental surgeon at a government hospital here, are in judicial custody.
The police, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Jagriti used to "mercilessly beat" her three domestic helps and had "compelled" them to work by holding them captive.
Rakhi`s body, with injury marks on her legs, chest and arms, was recovered from Dhananjay`s South Avenue residence on the evening of November 4, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside
- Dance with the devil: What Manchester United under Jose Mourinho might be like
- Like seriously! Sohail Khan to replace Mika Singh on 'Comedy Nights Live'?
- Meet Facebook's North Korean cousin!
- African nationals targetted: Delhi Police rule out hate crime angle, say 'attacks were not racial in nature'