SC grants bail to BSP MP Dhananjay Singh for filing nomination papers
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday granted temporary bail to BSP MP Dhananjay Singh, who along with his wife Jagriti Singh is accused of killing their maid, to file nomination from Jaunpur Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh.
A bench headed by Justice BS Chauhan granted temporary bail to Singh from April 14 to 21 for filing papers and subsequent campaigning in the constituency.
Singh, who is also an accused in a rape case, is a sitting MP from Jaunpur constituency in UP and had sought bail to file his nomination from that seat.
Polls would be held in Jaunpur Lok Sabha seat on May 12.
The BSP MP moved the apex court after the Delhi High Court on March 31 stayed the interim bail granted to him by a lower court on March 22.
The trial court had granted him interim bail on his plea that he has to look after his ailing father and as the charge sheet has already been filed, no useful purpose would be served by keeping him in custody.
Dhananjay was chargesheeted for various offences under the IPC, including for alleged destruction of evidence and abetment of the offences of murder and attempt to murder.
Jagriti has been chargesheeted for offences under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 344 (wrongfully confining for 10 or more days), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 201 (destruction of evidence) of the IPC.
The couple was arrested on November 5 last year in connection with the death of their 35-year-old maid Rakhi Bhadra, a resident of West Bengal.
Dhananjay and Jagriti, a dental surgeon at a government hospital here, are in judicial custody.
The police, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Jagriti used to "mercilessly beat" her three domestic helps and had "compelled" them to work by holding them captive.
Rakhi`s body, with injury marks on her legs, chest and arms, was recovered from Dhananjay`s South Avenue residence on the evening of November 4, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city