SC had let us down during Emergency, says Advani
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader L K Advani on Thursday said the Supreme Court "had really let down everybody by failing to stand up" against the government during Emergency.
The BJP patriarch said it would be incorrect to say that the whole judiciary had failed us during the Emergency, it was the Supreme Court that had really let down everybody.
"I am not inclined to agree that the judiciary as a whole succumbed during the Emergency.... It is the Supreme Court which let us down," Advani said.
The BJP leader said the Supreme Court had "bowed to then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi" mainly because several judges were superseded.
He was speaking at a function held here to inaugurate Kuldip Nayar`s book `Emergency Retold`.
Advani said three sections of the society- political activists belonging to the opposition parties, the media and the judiciary- were the worst affected by the Emergency. Among these, the judiciary upto the High Courts- behaved the best.
The BJP leader, who was incarcerated during the Emergency, said the defeat of Indira Gandhi in the elections after it was lifted is the biggest guarantee that democracy will survive in this country.
"Moreover, no government will dare to impose the Emergency ever again," Advani said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark