SC hints speeding up of hearing in cases against women
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday indicated it will speed up hearing of appeals pending before it in sexual harassment and other cases related to crime against women.
"Please wait for a week. I have something in mind. All matters like this one pending from 2004 and 2005 will be speeded up," a bench comprising Chief Justice Altamas Kabir and justices J Chelameswar and Vikramjit Sen said.
The remarks were made during the case relating to the Suryanelli rape incident, in which 42 men had allegedly gangraped a 16-year-old girl for over 40 days in 1996.
The court on January 3 had decided to hear urgently the appeal against the acquittal of accused in rape case within three weeks.
The bench had given the assurance after it was brought to its notice that appeal against the acquittal of accused in the case is pending in the apex court for the last eight years.
The girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district of Kerala was abducted in January 1996 and was transported from place to place across Kerala.
On September 6, 2000, the special court had sentenced 35 people to rigorous imprisonment for varying terms.
The Kerala High Court, however, acquitted all 35 convicts earlier and found only one of them person guilty of crimes related to the sex trade and sentenced him to five years jail term and a fine of Rs 50,000.
Later, her family and the state moved the Supreme Court in 2005 against the high court`s verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!