SC issues contempt notice to Army Chief
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued
contempt notice to the Army Chief for allegedly denying
admission to a civilian in Army medical college in violation
of its order.
A bench headed by Justice B Sudershan Reddy sought
explanation from the Army Chief by July 11 on why contempt
proceedings should not be initiated for denying admission to a
ward of a civilian in violation of its order striking down
100 percent reservation for armed forces` children in the
college in Delhi Cantonment.
The court passed the order on a petition filed by a
medical aspirant Rachit Gupta who alleged that despite the
apex court order the college was not admitting him on the
ground that he does not belong to defence forces family.
The apex court had on May 12 had held that
non-minority educational institutions have no right to admit
students of their choice and struck down 100 percent
reservation for children of armed forces in the Army College
of Medical Sciences (ACMS).
The court had said, if the non-minority educational
institutions were given such a right it "would be detrimental
to the true nature of education as an occupation, damage
environment in which our students are taught the lessons of
life, and imparted knowledge."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!