SC issues notice on Italian marines` plea to return to Italy
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued notice to the Centre on a petition by two Italian marines seeking the court`s nod to travel back to their country to exercise their franchise in the ongoing elections in Italy.
The apex court bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir issued the notice as Senior Counsel Harish Salve sought four weeks` permission for the Italian marines to go back to their country.
The court said the matter would be listed Friday by which time the centre would respond to the marines` plea.
The petition seeking permission to go back home for four weeks has been moved by Italian marines Chief Master Sergeant Massimilano Latorre and Sergeant Salvatore Girone.
The two Italian marines on board the Italian cargo vessel Enrica Lexie had shot dead two Indian fishermen Feb 15 last year, suspecting them to be pirates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez