SC issues notice on Italian marines` plea to return to Italy
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued notice to the Centre on a petition by two Italian marines seeking the court`s nod to travel back to their country to exercise their franchise in the ongoing elections in Italy.
The apex court bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir issued the notice as Senior Counsel Harish Salve sought four weeks` permission for the Italian marines to go back to their country.
The court said the matter would be listed Friday by which time the centre would respond to the marines` plea.
The petition seeking permission to go back home for four weeks has been moved by Italian marines Chief Master Sergeant Massimilano Latorre and Sergeant Salvatore Girone.
The two Italian marines on board the Italian cargo vessel Enrica Lexie had shot dead two Indian fishermen Feb 15 last year, suspecting them to be pirates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP hits back at Pakistan, says talks with Islamabad only on terrorism issue and not on Kashmir
- Sensex ends 93 points up on earnings lift, fund inflows
- Vaccinated and Ready: IOC special invitee Sachin Tendulkar to support India at 2016 Rio Olympics
- Rupee hits 1-week high of 67.08 vs USD, gains 9 paise
- Mohit Suri co-presents Pakistani artiste's new song