SC issues notice to Centre, states on illegal sand mining
New Delhi: Supreme Court on Friday issued notice to Centre and all states seeking their response for framing rules for preventing illegal sand mining on river banks.
A bench headed by Justice S S Nijjar agreed to hear a PIL filed by National Legal Services Authority pleading the court to intervene in the matter as reckless and indiscriminate sand mining along river banks is entailing grave peril to life sustaining capacity of natural environment.
The PIL, filed through the lawyer Indra Sawhney, submitted that rivers are being plundered by a powerful mafia which needs to be prohibited.
"The rivers are being plundered by a powerful mafia controlling the sand mining business. The illegal trade is driven by the unholy nexus between contractors, politicians, trade union leaders, panchayat and Revenue officials and corrupt policemen," the petition said.
It was submitted "people are deprived of their fundamental rights to life and health and are exposed to the peril of disastrous consequences of reckless and indiscriminate sand mining along river banks and beds entailing grave peril to life sustaining capacity of natural environment."
"Farmers are losing their fertile fields due to illegal sand mining along the embankment of rivers. The large scale extraction of sand leads to erosion of channel banks and uncontrolled flooding of the fields without the embankment, the fields of wheat, pulses and potatoes fall apart and floods drain out the minerals from the soil. As a result agricultural productivity diminishes," the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you