SC judge delivers verdicts in 95 cases in a day
New Delhi: In what could be termed as an unprecedented feat, a Supreme Court judge, whose term is about to be over, today delivered judgements in 95 cases.
Justice Swatanter Kumar, who is to retire on December 30, passed the judgements as his last working day is tomorrow as the apex court will be closed for 15 days winter vacation from December 17.
He passed judgements on cases of different natures including civil and criminal ones, including the verdict on providing facilities to Amarnath pilgrims.
In the important verdict, Justice Kumar said it is the government`s constitutional obligation to provide basic facilities to pilgrims who visit religious places and directed the Centre and the J&K government to ensure proper health and other amenities to Amarnath pilgrims.
Observing that arrangements for the yatris near the Holy Shrine are "pathetic," the comprising justices B S Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar issued a slew of directions to the governments and the Amarnath Shrine Board for widening the walking tracks to the holy cave which may be covered by pre-fabricated tiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic