SC judge rues lack of juvenile justice boards
New Delhi: A senior Supreme Court judge has
expressed concern over lack of juvenile justice boards in many
districts of the country and emphasised on proper enforcement
of laws protecting children`s rights.
"In many places, you do not have the Juvenile Justice
Board. The Chief Judicial Magistrate sits for one half of the
day to take such matters," Justice Altmas Kabir said while
addressing a seminar on child rights.
The Juvenile Justice Act provides for constitution of a
board in every district of the country to deal with "juveniles
in conflict with law" i.e. the children involved in commission
of penal offence.
The seminar, `Access to Justice: What it means to a
child`, organised by National Legal Services Authority (NALSA)
and the Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DSLSA) was
attended by Chief Justice Dipak Misra of the Delhi High Court
and several other chief justices and judges of various high
"Duty of our judicial system in our state is that the
Juvenile Justice Board should be in such a state that it works
effectively," Justice Kabir said, while detailing various
provisions of the law, enacted to deal with juvenile
He said we all should strive for betterment of the
plights of children, who cannot speak for themselves.
"Most of us are not aware as what is to be done. It is
also a question of sensitising ourselves. It is a question of
understanding a child from our eyes," he said.
"We have to have the basic change in our mindset. Unless
we have the realisation in ourself, we are not going to go
very far," he added.
The two-day seminar has been organised to delve into the
jurisprudence of juvenile justice system and evolve ways to
follow while for care and protection of juveniles and their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL