SC judgement in medical negligence case historic: Saha
New Delhi: NRI doctor Kunal Saha, awarded Rs 5.96 crore compensation on Thursday for his wife`s death due to medical negligence, said the judgement should rekindle hope for countless victims.
The Supreme Court ordered the Kolkata-based AMRI Hospital to pay the compensation for medical negligence resulting in the death of Saha`s wife, Anuradha, in 1988.
Terming the judgement as historic, Saha said it should tell many honest and caring doctors it is time to step forward and cleanse the system.
"If you let a few corrupt and politically connected doctors to run the show, all doctors will continue to share the blame and will never be able to restore public trust that we had not so long ago," he said in a statement.
Apex court judge Justice V Gopala Gowda passed the order on an appeal by Saha who had challenged a compensation of Rs 1.72 crore awarded by the National Consumer Forum. Saha lives in the United States.
The apex court earlier held some doctors of the hospital liable for criminal liability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'