SC judgement in medical negligence case historic: Saha
New Delhi: NRI doctor Kunal Saha, awarded Rs 5.96 crore compensation on Thursday for his wife`s death due to medical negligence, said the judgement should rekindle hope for countless victims.
The Supreme Court ordered the Kolkata-based AMRI Hospital to pay the compensation for medical negligence resulting in the death of Saha`s wife, Anuradha, in 1988.
Terming the judgement as historic, Saha said it should tell many honest and caring doctors it is time to step forward and cleanse the system.
"If you let a few corrupt and politically connected doctors to run the show, all doctors will continue to share the blame and will never be able to restore public trust that we had not so long ago," he said in a statement.
Apex court judge Justice V Gopala Gowda passed the order on an appeal by Saha who had challenged a compensation of Rs 1.72 crore awarded by the National Consumer Forum. Saha lives in the United States.
The apex court earlier held some doctors of the hospital liable for criminal liability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?