SC lets off gangrapists after they agree to compensate victim
New Delhi: In an unusual order, the Supreme
Court on Monday let off three gang rapists after they claimed a
"compromise formula" with the victim and agreed to pay her a
fine of Rs 50,000 each for their offence.
A bench of justices Markandeya Katju and Gyan Sudha
Mishra reduced to three and half years the 10-year sentence
awarded to three gang rapists who took the plea that both the
convicts and the victim were now happily married to different
people and "wanted to live peacefully."
Under Section 376(G) of the IPC, the minimum sentence to
the gang rapists is 10 years, which may extend even to life
Though Justice Gyan Sudha Mishra was not initially
inclined to compound (close the case by way of fine)the matter
as it was not a compoundable offence, the apex court later
relented and agreed to let them off provided the convicts paid
Rs 50,000 each to the victim.
The apex court ordered that, " the amount shall be paid
to the victim within three months", failing which the same
shall be recovered under the Land Revenue Act from the trio
and paid to the victim.
In this case, the convicts Baldev Singh, Gurmail Singh
and Hardeep Singh, all said to be agricultural farmers, had
gangraped the victim in Punjab`s Ludhiana district on March 5,
The sessions court had awarded 10 years imprisonment
to the convicts.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had dismissed the
convicts` appeal, following which they appealed in the apex
Counsel Rajat Sharma, appearing for the convicts, told
the bench that his clients had reached a compromise with the
victim and it was decided to drop the case. He submitted that
both the convicts and the victim wanted to bring an end to the
case as they were all now married and leading their respective
"We want to live peacefuly", the counsel said.
The submission evoked a remark from the bench which
said that, "after having committed a gang rape now you want to
live a peaceful life"?
Justice Gyan Sudha Mishra said the IPC provision does not
provide for compounding the offence as under the statute, the
court, apart from awarding a minimum of 10 years, can also
impose a fine or even extend the punishment to life
The judge said, "how can we let you all go scotfree for
such an offence like gang rape? There is no provision under
the law to compound the offence.”
"Punishment has to be awarded so that it acts as a
deterrent", the judge said.
But later as the counsel persisted with the plea that it
was more than 15 years when the incident had occurred, the
bench relented and said it was upholding their conviction but
reducing their sentence to the three-and-half years already
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon