`SC must devise measures to deal with sexual harassment complaints against ex-judges`
New Delhi: Two senior advocates Wednesday told the Supreme Court to devise some measures to deal with complaints of sexual harassment against its former Judges who are holding position in tribunals and other quasi judicial bodies.
Noted constitutional experts - Fali S Nariman and P P Rao who are assisting the court as amicus curie in a case of sexual harassment filed against its former judge Swatanter Kumar, told the court that there is "grey area" on how to handle such issue by the judiciary and Supreme Court should devise measures for it.
"Judges(howsoever high) are certainly not to be treated as immune from charges of sexual harassment of women at workplace if and when such a charge is made and proved. But the point is that some special measures may have to be adopted for that purpose-qua judges of the High Court and Supreme Court even when they have retired and then hold office as chairman or members of judicial tribunals, since they are a part of the structure or bedrock of an independent judiciary," they told a bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam.
They said some steps need to be devised by the Supreme Court along the lines of Parliamentary Act 14 of 2013 for dealing with such complaints against retired judges holding office as chairman or members of judicial tribunals and for remedies.
"There is, however, one grey area- complaints about sexual harassments made against a sitting judge who has since retired- but the allegation pertains to a period when he was functioning as a sitting judge. How will this be determined- is a question that must be also answered by the court," they said in a note filed in the Supreme Court.
On January 15, the court had issued notice to Justice Kumar and had also appointed senior advocates Fali S Nariman and P P Rao as amicus curiae to assist it in the case.
It had also directed Attorney General G E Vahanvati to assist the court in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report