SC no to student thrown out of college midway
New Delhi, June 03: Beware! If you do not fulfil
the minimum cut-off marks for admission, you could be thrown
out of the college even if you are already half way through
the course, the Supreme Court has ruled.
The ruling could be an eye-opener for thousands of
students seeking admissions to various colleges and
universities both private and government in the country.
In the instant case, Rushi Kurijsm, a second-year
student of Bachelor of Fine Arts at Mahalaxmi Jagdamba
Mahavidyalaya in Maharashtra, realised it the hard way with
the Supreme Court refusing to come to his rescue. The college
is affiliated to Nagpur University.
The apex court rejected the plea of the tribal student
that if he was removed midway from the college midway it would
ruin his career.
Despite counsel Dushayant Parashar`s persistent plea,
a bench of Justices B N Aggrawal and G S Singhvi ordered that
in case Rushi files an application with the college
authorities for refund of fees the same "shall be considered
on merits in accordance with law."
According to Rushi, after passing out his 12th
standard with 43 per cent marks he applied for admission in
the four-year BFA course from the college in June 2006. He
was admitted to the college and completed his first year.
He was allowed to write the exam and given the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know