SC not inclined to relax ban on plastic bags
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today virtually
ruled out the possibility of relaxing the ban imposed on use
of plastic bags by the Delhi Government by stressing on the
"havoc played" by them.
"Look at the hazards. plastic bags have been playing
havoc in the country," a bench comprising Chief Justice K G
Balakrishnan and Justices V S Sirpurkar and Deepak Verma said.
The bench said the ban on plastic bags would help in
returning to good old days when people used to go the market
with environment friendly bags made of cloth, jute and paper.
"If the ban is allowed to stand, same old habit will
return. People will go with a bag in their hand. I go to
market with a bag in my hand. What is the harm?" Justice Verma
The remarks by the bench were made when senior advocate
K K Venugopal, appearing for plastic bag manufacturers and
traders, alleged that the notification banning the use of
plastic carry bags was issued without properly following the
The January 7, 2009, notification bans the use of plastic
bags in shopping malls, five-star hotels, restaurants, dairies
and fruits and vegetable outlets under the Environment
Venugopal said before issuing the notification, the Delhi
Government should have published the draft proposal to inform
public for eliciting objections to the proposed ban.
The manufacturers and traders contended that the
notification for the ban on plastic carry bags went against
the spirit of the August 7, 2008, judgement of the Delhi High
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments
- Unsure if monetary policy panel to set rates in August: Raghuram Rajan
- German Bakery blast: Maha Govt. challenges Bombay HC order in SC
- Chinese woman gives birth to a baby girl from embryo frozen 18 years ago
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how