SC not inclined to relax ban on plastic bags
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today virtually
ruled out the possibility of relaxing the ban imposed on use
of plastic bags by the Delhi Government by stressing on the
"havoc played" by them.
"Look at the hazards. plastic bags have been playing
havoc in the country," a bench comprising Chief Justice K G
Balakrishnan and Justices V S Sirpurkar and Deepak Verma said.
The bench said the ban on plastic bags would help in
returning to good old days when people used to go the market
with environment friendly bags made of cloth, jute and paper.
"If the ban is allowed to stand, same old habit will
return. People will go with a bag in their hand. I go to
market with a bag in my hand. What is the harm?" Justice Verma
The remarks by the bench were made when senior advocate
K K Venugopal, appearing for plastic bag manufacturers and
traders, alleged that the notification banning the use of
plastic carry bags was issued without properly following the
The January 7, 2009, notification bans the use of plastic
bags in shopping malls, five-star hotels, restaurants, dairies
and fruits and vegetable outlets under the Environment
Venugopal said before issuing the notification, the Delhi
Government should have published the draft proposal to inform
public for eliciting objections to the proposed ban.
The manufacturers and traders contended that the
notification for the ban on plastic carry bags went against
the spirit of the August 7, 2008, judgement of the Delhi High
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate