SC notice on bail plea of Mumbai blasts accused

Last Updated: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 17:51

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued
notice to the Maharashtra government and CBI on the bail plea
of 1993 Mumbai blasts accused Mustafa Ahmed Dosa in connection
with a TADA case pending against him in Ratnagiri.

Dosa had absconded after the Mumbai blasts and his
trial was separated from that of the others. He was later
extradited from Dubai in 2003.

Dosa has challenged the order of the special TADA
court rejecting his bail plea.

A vacation bench of Justices P Sathasivam and AK
Patnaik was reluctant to interfere with the special court`s
order rejecting bail to Dosa but it issued notice after it was
informed that the apex court had earlier granted him bail in a
case relating to smuggling of arms and ammunition allegedly in
connection with the Mumbai blasts.

"At the most we can ask the special court to expedite
the hearings. You are not an ordinary accused. You are a
proclaimed offender. The court has noted that it would be a
danger to the society if you are granted bail. How can we
allow you bail. There is not ground for release at this
stage," the bench said at the beginning of the hearing.

However, senior advocate PH Parekh, appearing for
Dosa, said the accused is facing trial in several cases under
the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act
(TADA) relating to entry of arms and ammunition at Jamnagar,
Porbandara and Ratnagiri areas and all relate to the 1993
Mumbai blasts.

He said that the special court refused bail to Dosa
for the Ratnagiri case while he had been granted bail in
another case and until he is granted bail in all cases he
cannot be released.

The court then preferred to issue notice to the state
government and CBI on Dosa`s plea which will now be listed for
hearing after the vacations end on July 4.

PTI



First Published: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 17:51

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus