SC notice to airline for sacking `overweight` airhostess
New Delhi: An airhostess whose contract was renewed because of her being `overweight` on Tuesday knocked the doors of the Supreme Court for getting her job back.
Salome Singsit, 39, approached the apex court challenging the decision of Airline Allied Services Ltd, a subsidiary of Air India, alleging that the airline had arbitrarily refused to renew her contract.
Agreeing to hear her plea, a bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi issued notice to the airline and sought its response on the allegation levelled by Singsit.
She moved the apex court against the order of Division Bench of the High Court which had quashed its single bench order directing the airline to give her flying or ground duties after getting her medical condition assessed by a medical board.
Singsit, appointed as cabin crew in 1996, submitted in her plea that she went through numerous medical complications and got pregnant thrice during 2006-10 due to which she put on weight.
The airline had said that she was not keeping well and had been overweight many times when she was serving as crew member.
In her petition filed through advocate Ashwarya Sinha, she pleaded that she was ready to take ground duties but the airline refused to consider it and her contract was not renewed beyond December 31, 2010.
A month thereafter she had approached Single Bench of Delhi High Court which had, on July 3, 2012, passed the order in her favour and directed the airline to constitute a Medical Board to assess her health condition and accordingly give her flying or ground duties, as per suitability.
The airline then challenged the order before a Division Bench which had, on September 12, 2009, set aside the Single Bench order.
Singsit then approached the apex court against the order of the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi