SC notice to Centre on age of consent for sexual relations
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notice to the Centre on a PIL seeking a direction for fixing the age of consent of a wife at 18 years for having sexual relations with her husband.
Agreeing to hear the PIL, a bench headed by Justice KS Radhakrishnan sought response from the Centre on the issue.
The court passed the order on a petition filed by an NGO, iThought seeking its direction for amendment of Section 375 (rape) of the Indian Penal Code which makes an exception on age of consent of the wife for sexual relations with her husband.
The exception in section 375, which was recently amended by the Criminal Law Amendment Act of 2013, states that "sexual intercourse or sexual acts by a man with his own wife, the wife not being under 15 years of age, is not rape."
Advocate Vikram Srivastav, appearing for the NGO, submitted that if the age of adulthood has been fixed at 18 years, the same should apply in the case of age of consent of a women for sexual intercourse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof