SC notice to Centre on PIL over Saurav Kalia`s killing
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday issued notice to the central government on a petition asking for the issue of the beheading of two Indian soldiers near the Line of Control (LOC) by the Pakistani army to be raised in the International Criminal Court.
The apex court bench of Justices P. Sathasivam and J.S. Khehar issued notice as a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) by Sarwa Mitter contended that the brutal and inhuman beheading of the Indian soldiers by Pakistani army was contrary to the Geneva Convention.
The PIL has also sought direction to government to ask Pakistan to return the head of martyr soldier Hemraj.
The petition has also sought the termination of trade and cultural relations with Pakistan if the latter fails to return Hemraj`s head.
The court, while issuing the notice to the centre, tagged the PIL with another petition relating to the Pakistani army returning the mutilated body of Capt. Saurav Kalia that is pending for hearing before the court.
Pakistani soldiers had Jan 8 intruded into the Indian side in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch district, killed two Indian soldiers and beheaded one of them. This led to escalation of tension between the two countries, but the situation eased after a flag meeting between the two sides Jan 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley