SC notice to Centre, Rajasthan & Haryana on illegal mining
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday sought response from the Centre and the Rajasthan and Haryana governments on allegations that large scale illegal mining and depletion of forest cover was taking place in the two states.
A bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and J S Khehar issued notice on an application moved by NGO, Society for Awareness and Development, which alleged that the states were wilfully violating the apex court`s earlier directions of March 8, 2005 and February 19, 2010 restraining all types of illegal mining and depletion of forest cover.
The petitioner claimed that on account of the illegal mining, about 16 labourers have died in blasting and other connected activities.
It cited one specific incident of 25 August, 2011 in Bhiwani tehsil when six people died and another incident of May 18 this year in which 10 people perished in illegal mining in village Choharpur, where bodies of only three labourers have been recovered so far.
According to the application, the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) had submitted a detailed report on January 4 2010, about large scale illegal mining in the state but the state government chose to "ignore" such activities.
The CEC had observed that there is massive illegal mining taking place in the reserved forest area falling under Udhanwas village where at several places the hillock has been completely blasted out for the purpose of carrying out illegal mining.
The CEC, in its report, had also emphasized that large scale illegal mining was on account of lack of environment clearance in relation to thousands of mines operating in less than five hectares of land, the application said.
The application also said, "It is learnt that illegal mining is continuing in Alwar district of Rajasthan, with the support and connivance of state machinery, which has not only lead to severe depletion of forest cover but also deaths of number of labourers involved in illegal mining."
The application also referred to certain similar alleged illegal mining activities in the state of Haryana.
Hence the application urged the apex court to stay all illegal mining activities in the states of Rajasthan and Haryana.
It also wanted stock verification of all stone-crusher units at Alwar, Bhiwani, Faridabad, Gurgaon, Mewat and Mohindergarh and "to immediately dismantle all defaulting, illegally functioning stone-crushers units."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow