SC notice to Centre, states on police reforms
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notices to the Centre and all state governments on the issue of implementation of its direction on police reforms in light of the recent incidents of police personnel beating up a girl in Punjab and school teachers in Patna.
A bench headed by Justice GS Singhvi pulled up Punjab and Bihar governments and directed them to file affidavits within seven days on alleged brutalities of police personnel against common unarmed persons.
"Issue notice to Government of India through Secretary of Home Ministry, all state governments and Union Territories (UTs), Chief Secretaries, Home Secretaries and DGPs of all states, Police Commissions of UTs on implementation of the court`s directions in the Prakash Singh case on police reforms," the bench said.
The court passed the order after it took suo motu cognisance of media reports about the two incidents of police personnel beating up a girl in Tarn Taran in Punjab and protesting contractual teachers in Bihar.
On March 4, a woman was thrashed by Punjab police constables when she had approached them along with her father for lodging a complaint against harassment by a truck driver and his accomplices in Tarn Taran district.
In the other incident, Bihar Police personnel had on March 5 resorted to a baton charge and fired tear gas shells during a protest by contractual teachers outside the Assembly in Patna demanding regularisation of their jobs and pay parity with regular teachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi