SC notice to Centre, states over milk adulteration
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notices to the centre and five states over the large scale adulteration of milk and its related products.
The apex court notice has been sent to Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi, Punjab and Uttrakhand government besides centre and a status report had been sought on the purity of milk being supplied to the state’s market by all co-operatives societies and milk federations.
The move comes in response to a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed in the apex court in this regard.
Owing to increasing public outcry against large-scale adulteration of milk, several PILs have been filed in the state high courts in various states including Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and odisha.
In their petition, the complainants have highlighted the alarming portions of mass adulteration of milk that is consumed by normal household and sought urgent attention of the judiciary in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet