SC notice to Centre, states over milk adulteration
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notices to the centre and five states over the large scale adulteration of milk and its related products.
The apex court notice has been sent to Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi, Punjab and Uttrakhand government besides centre and a status report had been sought on the purity of milk being supplied to the state’s market by all co-operatives societies and milk federations.
The move comes in response to a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed in the apex court in this regard.
Owing to increasing public outcry against large-scale adulteration of milk, several PILs have been filed in the state high courts in various states including Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and odisha.
In their petition, the complainants have highlighted the alarming portions of mass adulteration of milk that is consumed by normal household and sought urgent attention of the judiciary in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'