SC notice to Ch’garh govt on Sen’s bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today issued
notice to the Chhattisgarh government on a petition by rights
activist Binayak Sen seeking bail and stay on his life
imprisonment imposed by a sessions court for his links with
A bench of justices H S Bedi and C K Prasad asked the
Chhattisgarh government to file its response within four
The bench passed the order despite counsel for Sen
seeking adjournment of the matter till Monday.
Sen (61) had moved the apex court challenging the
order of the Chhattisgarh High Court which had rejected his
bail plea on February 10.
A professional doctor, who studied in Christian
Medical College (CMC), Vellore, Sen has sought bail contending
that the trial court has erred in convicting him as there was
no substantial evidence against him.
Sen, Vice President of People`s Union of Civil
Liberties, was convicted for sedition and sentenced to life
imprisonment along with Naxal ideologue Narayan Sanyal and
Kolkata businessman Piyush Guha for colluding with Naxals to
establish a network to fight the state.
Human rights and social activists have described Sen`s
conviction and sentence as "politically motivated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA