SC notice to Ch’garh govt on Sen’s bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today issued
notice to the Chhattisgarh government on a petition by rights
activist Binayak Sen seeking bail and stay on his life
imprisonment imposed by a sessions court for his links with
A bench of justices H S Bedi and C K Prasad asked the
Chhattisgarh government to file its response within four
The bench passed the order despite counsel for Sen
seeking adjournment of the matter till Monday.
Sen (61) had moved the apex court challenging the
order of the Chhattisgarh High Court which had rejected his
bail plea on February 10.
A professional doctor, who studied in Christian
Medical College (CMC), Vellore, Sen has sought bail contending
that the trial court has erred in convicting him as there was
no substantial evidence against him.
Sen, Vice President of People`s Union of Civil
Liberties, was convicted for sedition and sentenced to life
imprisonment along with Naxal ideologue Narayan Sanyal and
Kolkata businessman Piyush Guha for colluding with Naxals to
establish a network to fight the state.
Human rights and social activists have described Sen`s
conviction and sentence as "politically motivated."
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Cong accuses PM Modi of doctoring birth details, education info; threatens to expose facts
- North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un bans all weddings, funerals ahead of party congress: Report
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court