SC notice to Ch’garh govt on Sen’s bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today issued
notice to the Chhattisgarh government on a petition by rights
activist Binayak Sen seeking bail and stay on his life
imprisonment imposed by a sessions court for his links with
A bench of justices H S Bedi and C K Prasad asked the
Chhattisgarh government to file its response within four
The bench passed the order despite counsel for Sen
seeking adjournment of the matter till Monday.
Sen (61) had moved the apex court challenging the
order of the Chhattisgarh High Court which had rejected his
bail plea on February 10.
A professional doctor, who studied in Christian
Medical College (CMC), Vellore, Sen has sought bail contending
that the trial court has erred in convicting him as there was
no substantial evidence against him.
Sen, Vice President of People`s Union of Civil
Liberties, was convicted for sedition and sentenced to life
imprisonment along with Naxal ideologue Narayan Sanyal and
Kolkata businessman Piyush Guha for colluding with Naxals to
establish a network to fight the state.
Human rights and social activists have described Sen`s
conviction and sentence as "politically motivated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands