SC notice to govt on denial of extension to Justice Shah panel
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued notice to the Centre on a plea challenging its decision not to grant extension to the Justice M B Shah panel inquiring into mining-related issues.
A bench headed by Justice A K Patnaik sought response from the government on an application filed by an NGO contending that either the Centre be asked to extend the tenure of the panel or another commission be formed under the chairpersonship of Justice Shah to inquire into all aspects of illegal mining and other mining-related issues in the country.
The panel was formed to inquire into "all aspects of illegal mining and other mining-related issues in the country, especially in the states of Chhattisgarh and Odisha, as a commission appointed by this court and to submit its reports to this court", the plea said.
The plea was moved by NGO Goa Foundation, S R Hiremath, founder President of Samaj Parivartana Samudaya (SPS) and Keshav Shori, director of the Development Initiative for Sustainable Human Advancement (Disha).
The plea also sought a direction to the central government to place all reports of the Justice Shah Commission of Inquiry in the public domain.
The government has "malafidely" wound up the panel on October 16, it said, adding its reports had exposed "illegal mining" and that had led to banning of extractions of minerals in Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...