SC notice to K`taka on Jayalalithaa`s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today issued notice to Karnataka government on a plea of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa against the removal of Special Public Prosecutor in a disproportionate assets case against her and said no fresh appointment of public prosecutor be made in the case.
A bench headed by Justice B S Chauhan also issued notice to Bhavani Singh, who had been removed recently from the case as special public prosecutor, and fixed the matter for further hearing on September 4.
Earlier, the court had agreed to hear Jayalalithaa`s plea in which she had said the decision to remove the prosecutor needed to be reversed.
The Karnataka government had, on August 26, issued a notification withdrawing the appointment of Singh as SPP.
"The appointment of senior advocate Singh as SPP to conduct the disproportionate case against Jayalalithaa and others in the special court is hereby withdrawn with immediate effect," the notification said.
The AIADMK chief is accused of amassing Rs 66.65 crore between 1991 and 1996 when she was the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
The case was transferred by the apex court from Chennai to Bangalore in 2003 during her earlier tenure as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu to ensure a fair and free trial.
She had alleged that the case was foisted against her by the previous DMK government for political reasons.
She had earlier recorded her statement under Section 313 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) before the trial court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi