SC notice to RGs of High Courts on RTI issue
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought
response from Registrar Generals of all High Courts on the
issue of providing information on appointment and transfer of
judges under the Right to Information Act.
"We need to have views of the Registrar Generals (RGs)
of High Courts as they have been getting applications on the
issue," a bench comprising Justices B Sudershan Reddy and S S
Nijjar said while issuing notices to all the RGs.
The court was hearing the appeal filed by the Supreme
Court Registry challenging the directions passed against it
by the Central Information Commission (CIC) to disclose
information on judges appointment to the apex court by
The apex court had also put on hold the operation of
the CIC order directing it to divulge communication between
Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan and Justice
R Raghupathy of Madras High Court on alleged interference by a
Union minister in a sub-judice matter.
The court has already issued notice to the RTI
applicant on whose plea the CIC has passed the orders.
Advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for the RTI
applicant, had assailed the decision of the apex court for
directly moving before itself by sidelining the Delhi High
Court and said the Supreme Court, which favoured the
transparency law for others, is stepping back when it comes to
itself sending a wrong impression.
Attorney General G E Vahanvati had sought stay on the
CIC`s direction saying several important questions of law
arise in the matter which required urgent hearing.
Bhushan had said all major issues relating to the case
was decided by the apex court in another matter.
The CIC, in a series of orders, has held that office of
the CJI comes within the purview of the RTI Act and
information held by the CJI should be revealed. However,
Balakrishnan has consistently been maintaining that his office
does not come under the ambit of the Act.
The Supreme Court had on December 1 moved before itself
a petition challenging the order of CIC which had directed it
to divulge information relating to appointment of judges to
the apex court and communication between CJI and Justice
The Registry has assailed the CIC`s order contending
that the material (information) held by the CJI was kept under
fiduciary relationship and should be exempted from being made
public under Section 8(1)e of the transparency law.
Interestingly, deviating from the normal practice which
was adopted by it in an earlier case on the assets declaration
issue, the apex court this time sidelined the Delhi High Court
where appeals against the CIC`s order were filed.
The same legal issue on whether CJI`s office comes
within the ambit of RTI or not is pending before a full bench
of the Delhi High Court after a single judge had rejected the
apex court`s plea that all the information with CJI cannot be
revealed under RTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in