SC notice to SpiceJet for deplaning disabled woman
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has issued a notice to SpiceJet on the plea by a cerebral palsy-afflicted woman, accusing the airline of forcibly deplaning her from a flight to Goa from Kolkata and seeking compensation for it.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana P Desai also sought replies from the Centre and the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to the plea of Jeeja Ghosh, a teacher at Kolkata`s Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy, who had been deplaned on February 19 from the flight.
Ghosh also sought apex court`s direction to the DGCA for enforcement of regulations pertaining to "carriage by Air of Persons with Disability and Persons with Reduced Mobility”.
She also urged the apex court to direct the airline to adequately compensate her for loss of money and wastage of time, besides the humiliation and the trauma that she suffered in the unsavoury incident.
She also submitted to the court that she had similar experiences earlier also, when in 2008 she was forced to undergo a medical examination before having been allowed to board an Indigo flight from New Delhi to Kolkata.
Ghosh approached the apex along with an NGO, Able Disable All People Together, which works for differently-abled persons.
"The similar actions by a variety of airlines in different states are also directly contrary to the provisions of UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which India had ratified in 2007," they said in their joint petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen