SC notice to SpiceJet for deplaning disabled woman
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has issued a notice to SpiceJet on the plea by a cerebral palsy-afflicted woman, accusing the airline of forcibly deplaning her from a flight to Goa from Kolkata and seeking compensation for it.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana P Desai also sought replies from the Centre and the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to the plea of Jeeja Ghosh, a teacher at Kolkata`s Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy, who had been deplaned on February 19 from the flight.
Ghosh also sought apex court`s direction to the DGCA for enforcement of regulations pertaining to "carriage by Air of Persons with Disability and Persons with Reduced Mobility”.
She also urged the apex court to direct the airline to adequately compensate her for loss of money and wastage of time, besides the humiliation and the trauma that she suffered in the unsavoury incident.
She also submitted to the court that she had similar experiences earlier also, when in 2008 she was forced to undergo a medical examination before having been allowed to board an Indigo flight from New Delhi to Kolkata.
Ghosh approached the apex along with an NGO, Able Disable All People Together, which works for differently-abled persons.
"The similar actions by a variety of airlines in different states are also directly contrary to the provisions of UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which India had ratified in 2007," they said in their joint petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway