SC notice to UP govt in Banda rape case
New Delhi: Hearing a petition filed in the Banda rape case, the Supreme Court on Friday issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government seeking full details of the case.
Two lawyers had moved the SC seeking a judicial inquiry into "violation" of norms by the UP police and judicial officials in connection with the case.
The case relates to the alleged rape of a Dalit girl by BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi in Banda in which the minor victim was sent to jail.
The apex court also sought to know from the state government as to why was the victim kept in jail for 33 days.
Further, the SC sought to know from the CBI whether it could carry out a probe into the case.
In the petition, the lawyers alleged that a magistrate, in violation of law, had sent the minor to jail, which he was not empowered to do under the Juvenile Justice Act.
Petitioners D Nathan and Sanjay Gautam alleged the police and judicial officers were trying to protect the MLA.
Also today, the BSP MLA’s judicial custody was extended by 14 days.
The developments came a day after the UP Police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) filed its charge-sheet in the case, terming the local ruling BSP MLA as the key accused.
A 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly raped by Dwivedi in Banda on December 10 and 11 at his residence from where she escaped on December 12 when the MLA allegedly attempted to rape her again.
The girl, however, was arrested in connection with an allegedly cooked up case of theft lodged by the legislator`s brother against her.
Forty-eight-year-old Dwivedi was later arrested in Banda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room