SC notice to UP govt in Banda rape case
New Delhi: Hearing a petition filed in the Banda rape case, the Supreme Court on Friday issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government seeking full details of the case.
Two lawyers had moved the SC seeking a judicial inquiry into "violation" of norms by the UP police and judicial officials in connection with the case.
The case relates to the alleged rape of a Dalit girl by BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi in Banda in which the minor victim was sent to jail.
The apex court also sought to know from the state government as to why was the victim kept in jail for 33 days.
Further, the SC sought to know from the CBI whether it could carry out a probe into the case.
In the petition, the lawyers alleged that a magistrate, in violation of law, had sent the minor to jail, which he was not empowered to do under the Juvenile Justice Act.
Petitioners D Nathan and Sanjay Gautam alleged the police and judicial officers were trying to protect the MLA.
Also today, the BSP MLA’s judicial custody was extended by 14 days.
The developments came a day after the UP Police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) filed its charge-sheet in the case, terming the local ruling BSP MLA as the key accused.
A 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly raped by Dwivedi in Banda on December 10 and 11 at his residence from where she escaped on December 12 when the MLA allegedly attempted to rape her again.
The girl, however, was arrested in connection with an allegedly cooked up case of theft lodged by the legislator`s brother against her.
Forty-eight-year-old Dwivedi was later arrested in Banda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan