SC orders magisterial probe into Mirchpur case
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday ordered a magisterial probe into allegations that victims of
Mirchpur Dalit violence were being targeted by those accused
of killing an elderly Dalit and his daughter in the village.
A bench of justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly asked
the chief judicial magistrate of Hisar district to conduct the
enquiry and submit the report within two weeks.
The bench passed the order on an application by the
victims and their lawyers alleging that they are being
targeted by the accused persons.
On April 21 last year, a Dalit man and his physically
challenged daughter were burnt alive in violence against the
community allegedly by members of an upper caste, forcing
about 150 families to flee Mirchpur village in Hisar.
Demanding a fresh probe into the Dalit killings, upper
caste people of Mirchpur and other adjoining villages in Hisar
district had brought rail and road traffic to Delhi via Jind
to a grinding halt in March this year.
Earlier, the apex court had asked the Haryana
government to identify the persons and organisation
responsible for holding demonstration in December last year
against booking of some upper caste people in connection
with the killings.
The bench had also directed the government and the
Railway Board to spell out steps taken by them to recover
financial loss caused following the 11-day stir organised by
12 `khap` panchayats.
A Delhi court had on January 9 directed the Haryana
government to move all the 98 accused from Hisar jail to Tihar
prison since their trial was transferred to a court in Delhi
following a Supreme Court order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Watch video: Baby bison is attacked by a wolf – what happens next will give you goosebumps!
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests