SC orders setting up of medical board to examine Asaram Bapu
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered medical examination of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, while hearing his bail plea in connection with a rape case filed against him in Jodhpur.
Hearing the bail plea sought on grounds of ill-health, the apex court directed the Rajasthan government to set up a medical board to examine Asaram, and subsequently submit a health report by September 23 – the next date of hearing in the matter.
Asaram will continue to remain in jail as the court said that his bail will only be considered after all the witnesses in the case have deposed before the trial court.
Earlier this month, Asaram - who is lodged in Jodhpur Central Jail - was briefly hospitalised after his health deteriorated.
The SC had earlier sought the Rajasthan government`s response in connection with the bail plea of Asaram, who is in custody since August last year on rape charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened