SC orders status quo on Rajasthan HC order on graft cases
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday directed
maintaining of status quo on the Rajasthan High Court order
transferring cases of alleged corruption during the previous
Vasundhra Raje government to the Lokayukta from the state
government-appointed inquiry Commission.
A bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishanan passed
the direction on a petition filed by Rajasthan government
challenging the High Court`s order setting aside the
constitution of N N Mathur Commission.
While declaring the constitution of the Commission
illegal, the High Court had directed that refer all the cases
of corruption pending before the Mathur Commission or likely
to be handed over to it to Lokayukta.
The state government had appointed Justice Mathur
Commission to inquire into charges of abuse of power, loss to
state exchequer and corruption including misconduct,
negligence irregularities and misappropriation of funds during
the period from 2004 to 2008 when Raje was Chief Minister of
Challenging the High Court`s order, the state government
pleaded that though the High Court did not find any
irregularity or illegality it substituted its own decision in
place of that taken by it.
"The order (of the High Court) in effect means
substituting its own decision in place of the decision of the
government and which goes beyond the scope of the present writ
petition," the petition said.
It also said the multi-member Commission was appointed to
maintain high standard of administration and to reinstate
faith of the public in governance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- 2016 US Open: Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams named top seeds for season's final Grand Slam
- Bulandshahr gang-rape accused plead not guilty, demand narco test to prove innocence
- Was Osho murdered by his followers?
- China hopes for early talks with Phillipines on South China Sea
- US military aids Turkey with air cover, intelligence in anti-ISIS operation in Syria