SC paves way for trial in 2008 Guj blast case
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday paved
the way for trial of over 50 accused in the 2008 Gujarat serial bomb blasts which killed over 56 persons.
A bench of Justices Altamas Kabir and Cyriac Joseph rejected the plea of the accused that the trial in the BJP-ruled state could not be held in a free and fair manner owing to the surcharged communal atmosphere in the aftermath of the 2002 Godhra massacre.
The apex court said things have considerably
"settled down" after the Godhra killings and hence the claim
of the accused that the trial could not be held in a fair manner was mere apprehension.
It, however, granted liberty to the accused to move the court again if and when there were genuine apprehensions
of the trial being held in a vitiated atmosphere.
The apex court had earlier in 2009 stayed the trial against the accused after the latter sought transfer of the
cases outside the state on the ground that the prosecution and
the investigating agencies were totally biased in favour of
the ruling party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof