SC paves way for trial in 2008 Guj blast case
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday paved
the way for trial of over 50 accused in the 2008 Gujarat serial bomb blasts which killed over 56 persons.
A bench of Justices Altamas Kabir and Cyriac Joseph rejected the plea of the accused that the trial in the BJP-ruled state could not be held in a free and fair manner owing to the surcharged communal atmosphere in the aftermath of the 2002 Godhra massacre.
The apex court said things have considerably
"settled down" after the Godhra killings and hence the claim
of the accused that the trial could not be held in a fair manner was mere apprehension.
It, however, granted liberty to the accused to move the court again if and when there were genuine apprehensions
of the trial being held in a vitiated atmosphere.
The apex court had earlier in 2009 stayed the trial against the accused after the latter sought transfer of the
cases outside the state on the ground that the prosecution and
the investigating agencies were totally biased in favour of
the ruling party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!