SC pulls up Bhullar`s counsel for adjournments
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday pulled up
death row convict Devender Pal Singh Bhullar`s counsel for
seeking repeated adjournments and blaming government for delay
in carrying out the execution of the capital punishment.
"You are complaining about delay on the part of the
government but you are seeking adjournments every time. It is
strange that sometimes you say the arguing counsel is not
there or you will say the instructing counsel is not there.
"We will not allow any adjournment. We will hear the
matter," the bench told a junior counsel who sought
adjournment of the case on the ground that the arguing counsel
was not available.
However, after the counsel repeatedly pleaded for
adjournment at least by a week, the bench said it would hear
the matter on Wednesday.
Bhullar was sentenced to death by a designated TADA court
on August 25, 2001, for his role in the September 10, 1993,
blast in Delhi targeting a cavalcade of car carrying the then
All India Youth Congress president M S Bitta who escaped with
serious injuries, though nine security personnel were killed.
The apex court had earlier sought the response of Delhi
government on Bhullar`s petition seeking alteration of his
death sentence to life imprisonment on the ground that there
was a delay of eight years in carrying out the execution.
On September 5, Bhullar sought time through senior
counsel K T S Tulsi to file an amendment application for
reducing his sentence to life term by raising two additional
grounds in his support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt