SC quashes illegal confinement case against Rahul
New Delhi: In a major development, the Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a case filed against Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi by former Samajwadi Party (SP) MLA Kishore Samrite in a case of alleged illegal confinement of a girl.
The apex court bench of Justices BS Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar, while passing the order, said the petition filed against the Congress leader was without substance which damaged his and his family`s reputation.
“Not an iota of evidence was found against Rahul Gandhi,“ the apex court said while directing Samrite to pay Rs 5 lakh to the Congress leader for filing baseless petition.
Samrite, a former MLA from Madhya Pradesh, had filed a plea seeking to set aside the directions issued against him by the Allahabad High Court in a case of alleged illegal confinement of a girl in which Rahul Gandhi`s name was also dragged.
The SP leader had challenged Rs 50 lakh fine imposed on him by the Allahabad High Court for approaching it with these allegations.
The Allahabad High Court on March 7, 2011 had also directed the Central Bureau of Investigation to register a case against Samrite and to find out as to under what circumstances the PIL was filed.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title