SC quashes illegal confinement case against Rahul
New Delhi: In a major development, the Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a case filed against Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi by former Samajwadi Party (SP) MLA Kishore Samrite in a case of alleged illegal confinement of a girl.
The apex court bench of Justices BS Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar, while passing the order, said the petition filed against the Congress leader was without substance which damaged his and his family`s reputation.
“Not an iota of evidence was found against Rahul Gandhi,“ the apex court said while directing Samrite to pay Rs 5 lakh to the Congress leader for filing baseless petition.
Samrite, a former MLA from Madhya Pradesh, had filed a plea seeking to set aside the directions issued against him by the Allahabad High Court in a case of alleged illegal confinement of a girl in which Rahul Gandhi`s name was also dragged.
The SP leader had challenged Rs 50 lakh fine imposed on him by the Allahabad High Court for approaching it with these allegations.
The Allahabad High Court on March 7, 2011 had also directed the Central Bureau of Investigation to register a case against Samrite and to find out as to under what circumstances the PIL was filed.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?