SC raps CBI for unwillingness to share info on coalgate probe
New Delhi: The CBI on Thursday came under sharp criticism of the Supreme Court for not wanting to share details of its probe in the multi-crore coal block allocation scam with the apex judicial body.
Expressing deep displeasure over the "strange" statement of CBI counsel who expressed reservation in sharing details of its ongoing probe, a bench headed by Justice RM Lodha said the court needs to see the status to confirm that the probe is going on in the right direction.
"It is strange that you do not want to share status of your probe. This is very strange statement on your part. This is not the first case and probably will not be the last case in which the Supreme Court will be monitoring the investigations," the bench said.
The petitioner, an NGO Common Cause, submitted that the agency must file its status report in a sealed cover to ensure that proper investigation is being carried out and to decide its plea that Special investigation Team be set up for the probe.
Sensing the mood of the bench, Additional Solicitor General Haren Rawal, appearing for CBI, then agreed to file a detailed affidavit on the status of the probe.
"Nothing will be kept back and detailed information of the probe will be provided to the court," the ASG said adding that the agency had already registered 12 FIRs in the case and a comprehensive investigation is going on.
The bench then recorded Rawal`s statement that the agency would file details of the probe in an affidavit.
In the meanwhile, CBI today opposed any SIT probe in the coal block allocation scam and assured the court that probe in the scam will be completed within four months.
The apex court had earlier on November 19 issued notice to the Centre and the CBI on a plea for a probe by a special investigation team into the alleged irregularities in the coal block allocations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO