SC refuses to give credence to Bhullar`s medical report
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday refused to give credence to Khalistani terrorist Devinderpal Singh Bhullar`s medical reports which said that he became mentally disturbed due to living for a long time under the shadow of death, while turning down his plea for commutation of death penalty to life imprisonment.
"Though the documents produced by KTS Tulsi (Bhullar`s lawyer) do give an indication that on account of prolonged detention in jail after his conviction and sentence to death, the petitioner has suffered physically and mentally, the same cannot be relied upon for recording a finding that his mental health has deteriorated to such an extent that the sentence awarded to him cannot be executed," the bench said.
Tulsi had placed records of Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital and the Institute of Human Behaviors And Allied Sciences of Delhi, as also certificate dated September 2, 2011 issued by Dr. Rajesh Kumar, Associate Professor in Psychiatry at the Institute to convince the court that Bhullar is not mentally fit.
He pleaded that 8 years delay in deciding his mercy plea has seriously affected health of Bhullar, who has become mentally sick and this should be treated as an additional factor for commutation of death sentence awarded to him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory