SC refuses to grant bail to Asaram Bapu in rape case
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In yet another set back for Asaram Bapu, the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to grant bail to the controversial godman in a rape case filed against him.
While hearing his bail plea, the apex court asked Asaram to approach the Gujarat High Court.
The top court, however, agreed to hear Asarm`s bail plea in an another rape case lodged against him in Rajasthan.
On Aug 20, 2013, a 16-year-old girl lodged a police complaint accusing Asaram, 72, of sexually assaulting her at his ashram near Rajasthan`s Jodhpur.
In her complaint, the girl alleged that Asaram`s aides sent her to his Jodhpur ashram on the pretext that she was under the influence of an "evil spirit" and the spiritual guru could perform an exorcism.
Asaram was arrested from his ashram in Indore in Madhya Pradesh, and brought to Jodhpur Sep 1. He is lodged in the Jodhpur Central Jail since Sep 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family