SC refuses to hear pleas against Sachin`s nomination
New Delhi: A plea for transfer of two petitions pending in different high courts to the apex court against nomination of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha was dismissed today by the Supreme Court.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir said, "This is not a fit case to be entertained."
The bench also comprising justices S S Nijjar and J Chelameswar expressed its displeasure that the matter has been brought to the apex court.
"We are dismissing it," the bench said.
The apex court`s order came on the plea of former Delhi MLA Ram Gopal Singh Sisodia for transfer of the two petitions pending in the Delhi and the Allahabad high courts against nomination of Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha.
Sisodia had moved the apex court saying there is likelihood of conflicting judgements from the two high courts.
Sisodia had earlier challenged Sachin`s nomination before the Delhi High Court on the ground that the cricketer does not have any of the qualifications prescribed under the Constitution for being nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
He had contended that Constitution allowed the government to nominate people to the Rajya Sabha only from four categories - arts, science, social science and literature. The selection of a sports person was unconstitutional, he had said.
While refusing to restrain Sachin Tendulkar from taking oath as Rajya Sabha member, a division bench of the Delhi High Court on May 16 had asked Additional Solicitor General A S Chandhiok to get instructions from the government as to whether the sports category was covered under the Constitution for nominating a sports person to the Rajya Sabha.
Earlier on May 14, the Supreme Court had refused to quash 39-year-old batting maestro`s nomination to the Upper House and had asked Sisodia to rather approach the high court with his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?