SC refuses to interfere with HC order on bail to Sajjan
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday refused
to interfere with the Delhi High Court order granting
anticipatory bail to senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in
the 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases.
"We are not inclined to interfere with the Delhi High
Court order," a bench headed by Justice P Sathasivam said.
The court pointed out that the background of the case is
peculiar and considering all the circumstances, there is
nothing wrong in grant of anticipatory bail.
The court dismissed the petitions filed by families of
the riot victims.
Giving a political colour to the case, senior advocate
and BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad, who appeared on behalf of
one of the petitioners, submitted that the victims of 1984
riots should be given equal treatment like that of victims of
He said that the CBI should be directed to provide
protection to all the witnesses who will be examined in the
The court, however, refused to give any direction to the
CBI, saying that the witnesses can file the application in the
appropriate court if they feel so.
The High Court had on February 26 granted anticipatory
bail to Kumar and others in two riot cases, saying the delay
in deposition of witnesses weighed in favour of the accused.
The CBI had chargesheeted 12 people, including Kumar, on
January 13 in the two separate cases for allegedly making
provocative speeches, leading to the killing of 12 people in
the violence that broke out following the assassination of
then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?