SC refuses to quash case against Asaram Bapu
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday
refused to quash the attempt to murder case registered against
Gujarati spiritual guru Asaram Bapu, who sought a restraint on
the state police from arresting him.
A bench of Justices Altamas Kabir and Swatanter Kumar
found no merit in the plea of senior counsel Sushil Kumar that
the accused had no role in the murderous attempt on one of his
erstwhile follower, Raju Chandak.
The senior counsel claimed that Asaram Bapu was
present in Delhi delivering a discourse when the incident took
After the apex court refused to entertain his plea,
the counsel sought permission to "withdraw the petition as
Bapu had filed the SLP challenging the registration of
attempt to murder case against him by the Gujarat police on
The criminal case under Section 307 (attempt to
murder) IPC and 25 of the Arms Act was registered against him
and two others for allegedly attempting to murder Chandak, a
former follower of the religious guru.
The FIR was lodged following an attack on Chandak who
was shot at by two unidentified persons in Ramnagar locality
of Sabarmati on December 5, 2009.
Chandak had testified against Asaram before the D K
Trivedi Commission probing the mysterious death of two ashram
boys Dipesh and Abhishek Vaghela.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened