SC refuses to vacate its order on Bangalore civic body poll
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today refused to
vacate its order which allowed the holding of the elections to
the Bangalore civic body on the basis of reservation of 23
out of the total of 198 wards seats for Scheduled Castes and
two seats for Scheduled Tribes.
"We are not inclined to vacate the stay of the Karnataka
High Court order," a Bench comprising Chief Justice K G
Balakrishnan and Justice Deepak Verma said.
The apex court had on December 16, 2009, stayed the
order of the Division Bench of High Court which on December 8,
2009, quashed the ward reservation chart and directed the
state government to redo the reservation matrix on the basis
of the 2001 census.
The Bench said it will hear all the parties on January
29 before giving a final decision.
Two petitions have been filed seeking stay of Bruhat
Bangalore Mahanagara Palike elections scheduled for February
21 on the basis of existing policy for reservation of seats
for scheduled castes.
The single judge bench of the High Court had dismissed
the petition challenging the election on the basis of the
Senior counsel Shanti Bhushan and A. Mariarputham,
appearing for the applicants, sought vacation of the January 6
order questioning the basis of the reservation of wards for
Counsel for the State Election Commission pointed out
that the model code of conduct has already come into effect
and no petition could be entertained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof