SC rejects contempt plea of Subramanian Swamy
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed the contempt plea of BJP leader Subramanian Swamy against Chennai-based Advantage Strategic Consulting Private Ltd (ASCPL) and another firm for filing a defamation suit in Singapore against him.
A bench of justices G S Singhvi and K S Radhakrishnan rejected the submission of Swamy that the defamation plea was filed to deter him from pursuing the 2G scam case here in which he had raised the issue of Aircel-Maxis deal.
The court was not satisfied with the response to its query as to whether the defamation suit filed in Singapore court had any co-relation with the pending 2G case before it.
"It might have been filed to create difficulties to you but you have to show the link between the two cases," the bench said adding, "Tell us the link between the two companies and the Aircel-Maxis deal".
Swamy submitted that such pleas in faraway fora abroad would hamper the honest public spirited persons and set an example to dissuade others to turn away from courts here.
The bench had earlier on November 22 last year issued notices to the firms in which Swamy alleged that Finance Minister P Chidambaram`s son Karti Chidambaram has stakes.
The court, which had also asked Singapore-based Advantage Strategic Singapore to respond to Swamy`s plea, however, did not issue notices to Finance Minister P Chidambaram, his son Karti Chidambaram and one C B N Reddy, who were also made parties by Swamy.
Earlier, the notices were issued on Swamy`s plea which alleged that the foreign firm, without any legal notice, lodged a defamation suit in the High Court of Singapore citing "You Tube and other internet publications" which were not posted by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Result 2016: dhe.mhpravesh.in declares B.Ed CET Results, check B.Ed result 2016 by directly clicking here
- Delhi boy 'Sonu', abducted 6 years ago, returns home from Bangladesh today
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan lends his majestic voice for the title track, impresses again! – Check out
- Caitlyn Jenner, Lady Gaga to pay tribute to Orlando Victims
- Beach fresh in pastel, Priyanka Chopra exhibits simplicity in new magazine cover!