SC rejects Memon`s objection against TADA court verdict
New Delhi: The objections raised by death row convict Yakub Abdul Razak Memon on the process adopted by TADA court to try 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case were Thursday dismissed by the Supreme Court which said there was "no illegality" as the trial judge had complied with all legal provisions.
Yakub, whose death penalty was confirmed by the apex court for his role in the blasts case, had argued that as the judgement of TADA court does not contain the material case of prosecution as well as defence and discussion on conclusion, it vitiates the principles of natural justice and also infringes his right under Article 21 of the Constitution.
Rejecting Yakub`s contention, the apex court held that "magnitude of the task" before the designated TADA court was huge as the trial judge was trying 123 accused persons and he had to deliver a judgement running into about 4,300 pages.
"There is no illegality or irregularity in the process followed and specifically under sections 353, 354 and 235 (of CrPC) keeping in mind the magnitude of the task before the designated judge inasmuch as he was trying 123 accused persons and had to deliver a judgement which runs in about 4,300 pages.
"In view of the above, we hold that the pronouncement of the judgement was in compliance with the above said provisions of the Code and does not violate any of the provisions of the Code, as contended by the appellant," a bench of justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan said.
Yakub`s counsel had contended that in the absence of the whole judgement for their perusal, the sentence imposed by the TADA court cannot be sustained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says