SC rejects PIL challenging Pranab’s Prez bid
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday dismissed a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking directions to the central government to conduct an inquiry against UPA’s presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee for canvassing votes before resigning as finance minister.
Filed by apex court lawyer ML Sharma, the PIL alleged that Pranab had misused the office of the finance minister by giving grants to states like Bihar so as to ensure support for his presidential candidature.
Rejecting the PIL, the apex court said that there is no substance to these allegations and warned the petitioner from filing such unsubstantiated petitions in the future.
Pranab Mukherjee is engaged in a direct with NDA supported candidate PL Sangma in the race for Raisina Hill.
Besides UPA constituents – expect Trinamool -, Pranab is also been supported by the Janata Dal (United) and Shiv Sena.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?