SC rejects PILs seeking to stop action against justice AK Ganguly
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Spelling more trouble for retired apex court judge Asok Kumar Ganguly, the Supreme Court on Monday quashed two petitions seeking a stay on Centre`s move to remove him as the chief of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) in connection with sexual harassment allegations made against him by a law intern.
The development comes as a major blow for Ganguly, who has been mulling to quit as the WBHRC in the wake of rising demands for his ouster for sexually harassing a young law intern last year.
Reports on Monday said that the retired Supreme Court judge AK has spoken to former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee confirming his plan to quit as the WBRC chief.
Ganguly`s decision to step down comes days after the Union Cabinet cleared the note for presidential reference against him. If Ganguly quits as WBHRC chief on his own, the Presidential reference will become invalid. The Union Cabinet gave its nod to the presidential reference after Justice Ganguly refused to quit the post.
The PIL also sought the quashing of the report in which a three-member panel of apex court judges indicted Ganguly for unwelcome behaviour against the law intern, who has accused the judge of sexually harassing him in a Delhi hotel last year.
The PIL seeking to quash the complaint against the retired judge was filed in the apex court on Friday. The petitioner said Ganguly was being maligned and was a victim of conspiracy as he had in an arbitration suspended Mohun Bagan for walking out of a football league match against the East Bengal club.
The All India Football Federation subsequently revoked Mohun Bagan`s suspension but slapped a Rs 2 crore fine on it.
The three-judge committee looking into the allegations of sexual harassment levied by an intern on retired Justice Ganguly prima facie disclosed an "act of unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" on the part of the retired judge.
The committee had observed that "statement of (victim) both written and oral, prima facie discloses an act of unwelcome behaviour (unwelcome verbal/non-verbal conduct of sexual nature) by Ganguly judge with the intern in a hotel last year.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm